Super-powered Hot Chocolate
We’re stuck in what seems to be a never-ending stretch of cool, wet, grey days. The kids are chilly (and often a bit soggy) when they arrive home from school, so we’ve been having a special drink to warm their bodies and spirits.
Nourishing and tasty, it takes only a few minutes longer to prepare than ‘traditional’ hot chocolate, but gives them fuel for their afternoon antics and activities.
The magic ingredients?
- Almond (or coconut) milk – our go-to dairy-free milks (opt for unsweetened versions, or for a super-rich hot chocolate, choose full-fat coconut milk from a can)
- Cacao powder – less processed than cocoa powder, cacao powder is a source of lots of good stuff like fibre, magnesium, protein, antioxidants and iron
- MCT Oil – sourced from coconut/palm oil, MCT are medium-length fats are easily digested and absorbed by the body, and provide fast and sustained energy, as well as a brain boost and some bonus antiviral properties
- Collagen Powder – this tasteless powder provides a boost of protein for sustained energy and satiety, and it’s also great for hair, skin, nails, and digestion. (Look for a brand that is made from grass-fed beef)
- Sea Salt – gives the drink a boost in both flavour and healthy minerals
- Maple Syrup – provides a hint of sweetness, as well as lots of good enzymes and minerals
Here’s how to make it (I usually eye-ball my measurements, so play around and adjust it to your liking!)
SUPER-POWERED HOT CHOCOLATE RECIPE
- In a small post, heat 2 cups of almond/coconut milk.
- Once warm, remove from heat and whisk in the following:
- 1 Tablespoon cacoa powder
- 1 teaspoon MCT oil
- 1 Tablespoon collagen powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
Pour into mugs, and enjoy!